Skip to Content

Can A Schedule Change Prompt A Parenting Plan Modification?

boy getting on school bus

This fall, you may notice a change in your own or your child’s schedule that may make it difficult to follow your time-sharing schedule in your child’s parenting plan. When a change in schedule causes difficulty in following the current time-sharing order, you might wish to determine what you can do to make a positive change for your family. Our Bartow child custody attorney shares how schedule changes might affect your ability to request a parenting plan modification.

Is the Change In Schedule Substantial?

For an adjustment to be made in a parenting plan, there needs to be a substantial change in circumstances for either the child or one of the parents.

Substantial schedule changes often involve:

  • The significant change in a work schedule for either parent
  • The significant change in the school schedule for the child
  • The significant change in travel schedule for either parent

This change must not be temporary, as a temporary fix may be able to be made instead of a parenting plan modification. However, if the change is seen as permanent or has no end date, the change might be enough to request a time-sharing agreement modification.

Requesting a Modification

If you believe that your change is substantial enough to require a modification of your current parenting plan, you should contact a trusted family law attorney to help you request this change. The attorney can review your circumstances and evidence to determine whether your change may require a modification.

With the attorney’s help, you can request a modification to be made by the court to better reflect your family’s circumstances and your child’s best interests. This modification will only be made if the court deems the claimed change in circumstances is valid and if the proposed modification is in the child’s best interests.

Ever Argued With A Woman?

At Advocate Law Firm, P.A., we understand the importance of advocating for what is right for your family. Our family law attorney can help you seek a new arrangement that follows your child’s best interests.

Do you feel that a substantial change has been made? Schedule a consultation today to learn more about how we can help your family seek the arrangement best for your child. Call us at (863) 644-5566 to get started.