Bartow Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycle Accident Injuries Are Often Quite Severe
The victim must often endure extensive physical therapy, rehabilitation, multiple surgeries, and recovery periods which can be long and painful. Additional factors include lost wages from time missed at work, as well as the financial burdens placed upon them and their family. Even with the tremendous advances in modern medicine, some motorcycle accident victims are left with long-term or even permanent physical or mental disabilities, are rendered paralyzed, or may even lose a limb. Some accidents are fatal.
Someone injured in a serious motorcycle accident may be subjected to the following:
- Loss of transportation
- Varying degrees of pain and suffering
- Required physical therapy
- Lengthy rehabilitation periods
- Single or multiple surgeries
- Lose of essential wages due to time missed from work
- Potential long-term or permanent disabilities
In addition to the above is the stress of worrying about how they will get by during this difficult time.
FL Motorcycle Accident Laws
Motorcycle accident laws in Florida cover various aspects of accidents involving motorcycles, including liability, insurance requirements, helmet laws, and other related issues.
Here are some key points to understand about motorcycle accident laws in Florida:
- Helmet Law: Florida law requires all motorcycle riders and passengers to wear helmets, unless the rider is 21 years of age or older and has insurance coverage of at least $10,000 for medical benefits resulting from a motorcycle crash. In other words, if you're over 21 and meet the insurance requirement, you can choose not to wear a helmet.
- Insurance Requirements: Florida is a "no-fault" insurance state, which means that motorcycle owners are required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. However, PIP insurance does not cover motorcycle accidents. Motorcyclists are exempt from the PIP requirement, but they must have at least $10,000 in medical benefits coverage as part of their motorcycle insurance policy.
- Fault and Liability: Florida follows a system of comparative negligence, which means that fault is determined by assessing the degree of negligence on the part of each party involved in an accident. If you're involved in a motorcycle accident, your ability to recover damages may be reduced by your percentage of fault in the accident.
- Reporting Accidents: Motorcycle accidents must be reported to the authorities if there is any injury, death, or property damage exceeding $500. You should report the accident to the local police or the Florida Highway Patrol.
- Statute of Limitations: In Florida, there is a time limit for filing a personal injury or property damage lawsuit after a motorcycle accident. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims is typically four years from the date of the accident, while property damage claims generally have a five-year statute of limitations.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: It's advisable for motorcyclists to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage as part of their insurance policy. This coverage can help protect you in case you are involved in an accident with a motorist who lacks insurance or does not have sufficient coverage to compensate you for your injuries and damages.
If you're involved in a motorcycle accident in Florida, it's often beneficial to consult with an attorney experienced in personal injury law and motorcycle accidents. They can help you understand your rights, navigate the legal process, and pursue compensation if you have a valid claim.
Contact My Firm to Request Your Initial Case Evaluation
At the Advocate Law Firm, P.A., I provide high-quality legal counsel that is designed to help my clients face their injury cases. I have the experience and resources to properly assess what a fair and reasonable settlement would be based on ALL relevant factors relating to the motorcycle accident, professionally negotiate on your behalf, and when necessary, represent your legal rights in a civil litigation action.
If you or someone you love was involved in a motorcycle crash, I encourage you to contact my injury law firm as soon as possible. I have more than 20 years of experience that can be put to work on your behalf and I operate on a contingency fee basis, which means that you only pay if my firm is able to win your case.
Beyond that, I make weekend and evening appointments available upon request and accept both after-hours and emergency calls. To learn more about how my firm can help, contact me today!
We Fight Tirelessly For Every Client
More Than 20 Years of Experience
A Full Service Law Firm
Personal Attention For Every Client
I understand that divorce law can be confusing and want to provide the resources you need to stay informed.Uncover Answers
Meet Your Attorneys
I, Melissa A. Wilson, don't back down from a challenge. I have the passion, experience, and drive that you need.Attorney Profiles
If you and your future ex-spouse hope to avoid traumatic court disagreements, collaborative divorce is for you.Learn More
Don't Do It Alone
Having an attorney in your corner throughout a divorce can help you reach an agreeable resolution faster and easier.Gain The Advantage
I couldn't have asked for more!
I just want to publicly show my gratitude to Ms. Salvia and the rest of the team that worked on my recent case. I really felt I was represented well by Ms. Salvia and she took the lead in making strong points for my case. She was able to properly vocalize what I needed and look out for things that I didn't even consider. She is very experienced. I couldn't have asked for more. Thank you so much for help and professionalism.- Dalena T.
Martha and the rest of the team constantly kept me in the loop of all that was occurring
There was never a time that I was alone in my divorce process. The staff/team was in contact communication with me. Any questions, concerns or issues I may have had, they were front and center ready to help me through the process and educate me on what the next steps were. Divorce in and of itself is a very emotional, trying and frustrating process. Martha and the rest of the team constantly kept me in the loop of all that was occurring, what was needed, any changes that were coming and how to properly handle them. Thank you so much for making a stressful and life changing event, easier to navigate.- Michelle Acevedo
Honesty, integrity and a fighter!
I don't typically write reviews however, in this "case" it is warranted. Having gone through a protracted and tumultuous divorce lasting almost five years would leave any living and breathing human hating lawyers even their own. well, I must say I am left with a gratitude for all the hard work, patience and guidance given me throughout my process. I would recommend Melissa Wilson to anyone that is looking for Honesty, integrity and a fighter where it counts... CASE CLOSED!!!! and so is mine. cant forget Martha her assistant, taking my calls always and listening to me vent. Thank you all in that office Sincerely Niko- Former Client